July 11, 2012

The Wedding Dress

This was such a beautiful story. I loved how the author intertwined this one wedding dress through the lives of four different women and through four different time periods.

Emily from 1912, Mary Grace from 1939, Hillary from 1968 and Charlotte from today, 2012.

I loved so much about this book. I especially loved the characters. Emily who stood up for what she believed in, Mary Grace for not being afraid to share her faith, Hillary who has the courage to face her fears and Charlotte who finally accepts the dreams God has for her. I found the relationships within the story, believably real and heartwarming.

I'm one of those readers who loves to read the author's notes at the back of a novel before I get started. I find the notes bring more depth to the story.

Here's Rachel Hauck's author note:

"As I prayed over this book, I began to see the wedding dress as a symbol for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It never wears out. It fits everyone who tries it on. It doesn't need to be altered. and it's always in style.

The truth and love of Jesus is alive today. It is for everyone. Whether you've been hindered through culture or family like Emily, or gifted with the Gospel like Mary Grace, or wounded like Hillary, or lost and looking for redemption like Charlotte, Jesus provides the healing and answer we are all looking for. He is the way, the truth, and the life. Not for a select few. But for each one of us.

For you."

This captured my attention! I can't explain in words how this applies to the book. You really have to read the whole thing through to understand what she's talking about...and if you do, I think you'll find it's beautiful.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes"                                                                                      Romans 1:16





5 comments:

  1. I would love to read this one! I've read so many wonderful things about it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the book, Cathy. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great read! I think you'd like it. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Hilda, thanks for stopped by! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )