January 14, 2017

2017 Reading Goals

Last year I had 2 goals. One to read 55 books, which I accomplished and exceeded and the other was to read 13 books from different categories set by Tim Challies reading challenge. (You can read more about that HERE ) I read 12 1/2. So close, but I didn't quite make it.

I think it was because I left the harder theological books to the end of the year and didn't take into account how much time they would take to absorb. I'm half way through J.C. Ryle's 'Holiness' and have yet to read 'God's Love' by R.C. Sproul.

So one of my goals for 2017 is to get through these 2 books.

As well as setting my goal for reading 50 books this year, I've also make some other resolutions for the new year.



Firstly I'd like to do a little re-reading. I will be posting about that next week.

Secondly, I'd like to try and read more classic novels. At least one from Charles Dickens, One from Elizabeth Gaskell and one from Charlotte Bronte. These always take a bit more time but are often worth it.

Thirdly, I'd like to stick with reading mostly the books on my shelves. I've accumulated quite a few and need to focus on getting through them before purchasing others. Though I may buy one or two. : )

Fourthly, I'd like to read at least one biography, one history book and one memoir this year. I really enjoy these types of books so I will probably read more than one of each.

And lastly, but not least, I will be reading from my Bible. I just finished the Psalms and I'm onto the book of Hebrews. Here is what this book is about, quoted from the notes in my Bible:

"Many Jewish believers, having stepped out of Judaism into Christianity, want to reverse their course in order to escape persecution by their countrymen. The writer of Hebrews exhorts them to 'go on to perfection' (6:1). His appeal is based on the superiority of Christ over the Judaic system. 

Christ is better than the angels, for they worship Him. He is better than Moses, for He created him. He is better than the Aaronic priesthood, for His sacrifice was once for all time. He is better than the law, for He mediates a better covenant. 

In short, there is more to be gained in Christ than to be lost in Judaism. Pressing on in Christ produces rested faith, self-discipline, and a visible love seen in good works."

I love the first few verses of Hebrews. They remind me that God is personal and that He sent His Son for all who will come. Jesus is the brightness of God's glory. He is all we need.

I'll leave you with these first few powerful verses:

"God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high."


34 comments:

  1. I tend to read the longer or more difficult books early in the year - makes the rest of the year feel easy. I've been planning my reading goals mainly around classics and books I already have the last couple of years, but I'd also like to reread a little and read new releases as well. I may try your approach next year. Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters and North and South are wonderful, some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have both of those Elizabeth Gaskell books and can't decide which one to read first! North and South is shorter, but Wives and Daughters sounds like a story I would love. I have a few shorter classics I'd like to get to first, then onto Gaskell! Thanks for stopping by Barbara, always enjoy your comments! : )

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic goal to have!
    I used to be an avid reader, and now that I'm retired, I was able to join a book club, so at least I read about 10 books a year!
    jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com
    #weekendlinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy your book club picks this year! Thanks for stopping by Jodie. : )

      Delete
  3. I set a goal to read a particular # of books but I like that your goals spread that out a bit :) Definitely going to check out the link to Tim Challies' challenge. Glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tim Challies book challenge gave me lots of ideas for reading last year! Hope you have fun with it. Thanks for stopping by Joanne. :)

      Delete
  4. I love your reading goals! I am doing the Classics Challenge which is great as I am re-reading lots of favourite classics as well as some I have never got to before. Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, enjoy all your classics this year! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  5. I need to set a few reading goals. I am never without a book, but I would like to know how many books I go through in a year's time. I also think I will visit your "favorite reads," section, for more ideas and suggestions. Thank you and many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Goodreads for that. I can always go back and see what I've read already and its fun to get ideas from others on the site. Hope you find some great reads for 2017! Thanks for stopping by Cynthia. : )

      Delete
  6. I've never, in my life, set reading goals, well, except for reading the Bible through. I read a lot, but I need to set goals in WHAT I read. Last year I was pretty indiscriminate. I think I'll follow your example and read a little deeper! And, btw, love that Hebrew verse - He is all things! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find some great books for 2017! Glad you stopped by Carol! : )

      Delete
  7. I'm also hoping to do some re-reading this year. There are certain authors whose voices I have loved in the past and now just miss them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, some authors you just miss and want to be encouraged by again. Thanks for stopping by Michele!

      Delete
  8. I definitely want to add a few more classics to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find some you enjoy this coming year. Thanks for stopping by Nicole!

      Delete
  9. I encourage reading. And I like real books, recently I went back to my library, which is garage shelves, until my dream one becomes reality. I am rediscovering Keats and Lord Byron and going through Proverbs this month. And I agree, Dickens is definitely a classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love Proverbs! I want to read that one again soon. I'm also looking forward to reading Dickens again, but a bit intimidated by the size of his novels! Happy reading to you Rebecca, glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful year ahead for reading! I re-read some of my favorite books last year, and discovered that some are still favorites, but one or two, not so much. :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, I'm hoping I enjoy all my re-reads!

      Delete
  11. I am reading an 800+ page book now by Leo Tolstoy and it is such a good start for me this year. I do not have goals but I love to read and keep reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tolstoy! I read Anna Karenina a few years ago and it was a long one! I didn't like her character, but there were several others I loved. I may one day attempt War and Peace!

      Delete
  12. I finished Soul Keeping and knew I needed to do a re read. But have begun Life of the Beloved by Nouwen. I'm giving these a slow read with some fun fiction inbetween. Oh, and it's time for a 4th re read of Hudson Taylor's spiritual secret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often read quicker fiction in-between heavier reads too. I enjoyed Hudson Taylor's spiritual secret too. Hope you like it a fourth time!

      Delete
  13. Visiting from Booknificent Thursday. Love your goals! I've heard of some of the authors you've mentioned (Ryle and Sproul), but never read anything by them. So I'll be interested to see what comes of those books. Great goals as far as reading classics, too--that's something I'm hoping to do more this year, as well as re-read Jane Eyre. That's a lovely book!

    Keep up the good work!
    Esther
    http://learningresourcedirectory.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane Eyre is one of my favorites! My daughter's university is doing the musical of the book and I'm so looking forward to it!

      Thanks for stopping by Esther!

      Delete
  14. Wow, Cathy, I'm impressed. I love that you set your goal of 55 books and hit it. I can barely get through a handful of books in a year but I see what a difference it makes to set a goal and work toward achieving it. Thank you for inspiring me.
    Visiting from #DancewithJesus

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just set my yearly reading goal for 50 books which is a bit lofty for me, but I'm gonna try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy reading all of them! Thanks for stopping by Ivanna!

      Delete
  16. I have never really thought about have a reading goal... I love to read, but often find I don't make the time in my already full schedule to be purposeful and intentional about it.... you definitely have me pondering a reading goal. thanks for sharing your post at #SpiritualSunday where we are neighbors.. I am a few days behind in comments.. oh , and I would probably save the theology books for the end too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Debbie! Hope you enjoy all you read this coming year!

      Delete
  17. Great goals! As a young mom, I find my reading goals tend toward limiting my reading to make sure I'm focusing on what's important. I am aiming to read through the Bible at least once this year. Thanks so much for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com this week. I'm always so encouraged by what you share!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it's important to spend more time with the kids. When mine were little I was lucky to read 5 books in a year!

      Always happy to read your comments Tina. Glad you find encouragement here! : )

      Delete

Feel free to leave your own thoughts in the comments. I try to respond to all of them by the end of the week. : )